Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Make Way for Ducklings



Did you ever consider how stressed those two ducks were when they looked for a proper home for their chicks? I feel years slip from my life everytime I set out on the drive to Daddy's work where we p/u the shuttle to O'Hare. We get to security after stopping at the necessary room b/c it's been 1.5 hours since we left home. As I watch my chicks handle security with all their coats, backpacks and booster seats like pros. Decide which area we need to head to for the gate (God forbid E or F in a short time period, or either end of C for that matter). We get settled at the gate area and wait for announcements of who gets stand-by seats. By then, I'm at least 20 years older - or at least I feel it. When we do get the news on seats yay or nay, a little life rushes back through me, but there is also the other end of the flight. I'm boosted when I see my three chicks handle first class and shmooze the uptight flight attendant who has had their fill of painful children. It's worth every second of the transport when I get to watch my children's faces and hear the words of support from around us and approval. But the stress is weighed against the thrill of travel every time I decide to spirit them on the wings. I can truely relate to those ducks in this story book who finally decided on a pleasant island in Boston's urban area. I don't wish it were easier, but I do wish I didn't feel such stress in getting them across town (with nary a grid pattern street to be had) or across country. It's the expedition that teaches us all.

1 comment:

Sarah B. Roberts said...

So, are you going to Boston now? I think it's probably fun for kids there but not big kids like me, especially if work is involved but if there's music of course, I can enjoy the joint.

Post a Comment