G2 began her volunteer mission with the Japanese Ladies Language Ministry. She tried the childcare "job" last spring and decided to give the effort a try. More about that later.
SOTW3CHChapter 4, begins on page 43Searching for the Northwest Passage
I. The French in the New World
· Among the Icebergs,
· Sir Humphrey Gilbert,
· The Founding of Quebec
Indians: Squanto, (easy read)
· Song of Hiawatha by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Guerber Story of the Thirteen Colonies: French Explorers, Champlain, Ch. XLVII (part a),
· Down the Mississippi, Champlain, Quebec. 1604-1608, 1603-1608
Beatrice Home. Peeps at History – Canada,
· The Early Discoverers, Samuel de Champlain. Heritage History
1498, John Cabot disappears in the northern Atlantic.
1534, Jacques Cartier's first arrival in Canada.
1553, Sebastian Cabot's expedition sets off on the northeast route)
1638, Samuel Champlain dies
II. Henry Hudson's Quest
· The Story of Henry Hudson
Guerber Story of the Thirteen Colonies: Hudson, New York , Ch. XXVII,
· Hudson and the Indians, Hudson Bay. 1609-1614, 1609
Mara L. Pratt. American History Stories – I.
· English Explorers: The Cabots (Heritage History books)
1603 Samuel Champlain's first arrival in Canada,
1608 Quebec colony founded in Canada
1607 Henry Hudson makes his first voyage to the northeast Rolfe,
1611 Henry Hudson is set adrift in Hudson Bay
· Continue listening to Witch of Blackbird Pond.
READ and SKETCHaRESPONSE or Narrate
HSW: solutions and crystals, acids and bases, salts and soaps (hard water test), organic chem
· http://www.scienceinthebox.com/fun-easy-science-experiments-using-materials-found-in-home, discover kids magazine about oil
Kindle: Wonder Book of Chemistry, Chap 7 (Experiments with Air) and Chap 8 (Further Experiments with Air)
Hands of a Child Notebook with questions
Sections: Periodic Table; Elementary Elements H&He; Atomic Number; Groups/Periods
DK Chemistry pages 12 and 13
Experiment making soap the way Grampa does with water, lye and lard.
Local ties in history about discovery in early Canada and Joliet traversing the area where we live. The Science connection this week, besides making soap, was the idea of water softener system using salt to reduce the need for as much soap.